Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Today I went to PT with my classmates to exersize. After exersizing I kept thinking I would like to watch the inaguration on tv, but I wouldnt have the chance. We are coming off of a long weekend and there is no way I would be able to see it. So I was just set to rewatch it whenever they played it agian. But just to tell you how much support our nation has changed, two of my classmates (both fillipinos, who out rank me - but I was selected as class leader, so I make all the class decisions) approched me about how important it was to them so see the inaguration. None of the black people asked me anything about it. They were persisent to. So I called our instructor and told her that we would like to see the inaguration, and she gave us a extra two hours so we could see the swearing in..This was great because I could say I was watching along with everyone when it actually happened. This was great for me..Ill make sure ill let the teacher know how much i appreciate that!

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Hi Cornell,
I'm glad you were able to see the inaguration on tv. Although,I knew it would be shown all day. I stayed home from work so I would be able to see it in "real"time and experience the joy of watching it unfold. It all seems so surreal. I remember only yesterday when I was younger and I would hear people say.."hum a black man as President".."It will never happen" Well it did!! I witnessed it. I remember when I met the now President on the corner at a small cafe in downtown Durham. He was a very humble human being. When I shook his hand he looked at me right into my eyes as if he knew me. I will never forget it..or let anyone else forget..lol. While I watched him swear in, I thought about the words of Maya Angelou's poem "Still I Rise" the line that says " I am the hope and the dream of the slaves"..Love you
your sister
-Kendra