Wednesday, February 18, 2009

First Day at VAW-113

Today was my first day at my new command. I didnt have to be there until this Friday, but i didnt have anything to do plus I didnt feel like paying for additional hotel rooms, So I decided to check in in order not to prolong the anticipation on how it was going to be. And to save some loot.
One of the guys who works in my new office was in school with me. I learned he will be working for me along with 4 other guys in the office. My job will be different this time. Instead of running one section, like im used to. Im in charge of the whole office and all the functions. There is not as many people to be responsible for (only 139) So it will be a little different than Im used too. Alot of functions that I will be responsible for, I have little or no experience in the area. So Ill probaly be spending my first three months reviewing instructions just to get my knowledge base down pat.
My supervisor is a E7 who I remember working in security when we were both in Okinawa. She will be leaving in May so after then Im pretty much on my own. So Ill be hitting her up with all kinds of questions till she leaves. By then I should have a idea of whats going on.
There are not too many black people at the command. The three that I met were all senior to me but seemed real happy to see another black person checking in. One I didnt even know was black until he approached me and gave me a few words of wisdom of how to navigate through the command. I know I have to do my best to represent, because I refuse to be the weak link in the black chain.
I dont think it will be as fast paced as my CSD Monterey, but i think that this is going to be pretty challenging and different, because Im not used to seeing the people who run the show walking around. Everyone is in one building so you cant get away with anything, and they see everything. So you have to be on top of your game at all times. This is not something im used to. I like to skate around and not do anything sometimes. I dont think ill be able to get away with it much here. But its all good. Ill use this experience to sharpen me up for my next job in the civilian world, If there is a job when I retire..well see.
Is it just me or does it seem that some people in the News are doing whatever they can to talk down Obamas plan so it will fail?

No comments: